The Climate Correction Project (CCP)
Lower sea water levels / Desalinate sea water and distribute it to all arid regions of the world / New greening project for feeding the world / Plant trillions of trees / Stop climate change
The global threat
The melting of glaciers and polar caps causes sea levels to rise. Islands in the Pacific and the Maldives disappear (alarm at climate conferences). Sea levels will rise by more than 10 metres as Antarctica melts. All coastal cities must be rebuilt. Vast amounts of land are lost.
The second global crisis
Continents are drying up. All deserts are growing. Areas in the Sahel zone can no longer be cultivated. The groundwater level is dropping. Fountains are drying up. Water shortage has even hit Central Europe. People all over the world experience similar situations (for example, in California). The area used to feed the growing world population is becoming ever smaller.
Both problems are the two sides of one and the same coin – global warming. Why does humankind allow itself to be pushed to the edge?
The basic idea of the Climate Correction Projects (CCP) is to pump out sea water and not to protect coasts with embankments. The plan is to desalinate sea water and route it to all those places where there is a lack of water or where this “new” water can be used (also to fill up groundwater). In this way, huge areas can again be used for feeding the world, creating a basis for life.
Requirements in terms of sustainability
- Pumping and desalination is powered entirely by solar and wind energy,e. without causing any emissions. The benefit is obvious: there is plenty of solar radiation in deserts and desert-like areas, which means solar energy is available with a very high level of efficiency. Deserts are worthless and thus offer free space for solar seawater desalination.
- The extracted salt is returned to the oceans in an ecologically correct way as far as possible.
- At least one third of the areas is planted with trees. CO2 is removed from the atmosphere, thus reducing climate change. The growing of trillions of new trees will bring climate change to a halt.
A number of departments at the TU Munich are already involved in the CCP, including Prof. Jörg E. Drewes, Chair of Urban Water Systems Engineering / TUM Department of Civil, Geo and Environmental Engineering, Prof. Markus Disse, Chair of Hydrology and River Basin Management, Prof. Thomas Hamacher, Chair of Renewable and Sustainable Energy Systems, Prof. Reinhard Mosandl, Chair of Silviculture.
They calculate the energy demand, the maximum absorption volume of the continents, the amount of CO2 bound by the trees to be planted or their optimisation and much more.
The CCP approach works despite its huge dimensions. No ecological drawbacks or constraints. We can start to implement the CCP approach everywhere.
There is a substantial need for development with regard to the desalination technology in order to reduce the energy input and the production cost of the solar radiation surface many times over. Solar seawater desalination (solar desalination = SD) accounts for a quarter of the current cost per cbm of water. New processes offer a factor of 20.
We can make a start with the existing technologies.
CCP reaches the effective limit when treated water starts to flow back into the oceans, which equals the maximum absorption volume of the continents.
The time factor must be taken into account, i.e. pumping/irrigation runs for 365 days or at least 4,300 hours/year for every year.
The earlier we start to extract “new” water, the better for the global climate.
From vision to implementation: The CCP pays for itself
The CCP could/must become mankind’s largest project. How is it to be financed?
- If worthless desert becomes fertile land, there is an increase in value or an annual yield that exceeds the costs of irrigation and planting by far. Any expenditure is amortized.
- The CCP is also an economic model. Climate protection and increased prosperity go hand in hand.
- The land value of the regions concerned rises from zero to the equivalent of agricultural land. This alone exceeds the investments in irrigation and planting, i.e. it is “a business” for the land owners or, as the case may be, the states.
- Rich Arab countries and western states (e.g. Australia) finance their own greening efforts.
- Poor countries receive the best possible development aid through the CCP. By developing deserts into economic areas, they can often repay their investments in irrigation and planting. All that is needed is start-up financing = a new form of development aid.
- Furthermore, if all funds for the isolated protection of coastal towns against the rise of sea levels were rerouted into the CCP, this would already secure part of the financing.
- The competition for the most efficient desalination technology promises profitable
- After the start-up phase, water could become an asset, thus attracting investors.
- The EU could take a technological lead in the CCP through determined and consistent support.
- Compared to the damage that will result if the CCP is not launched, the CCP is the solution with the lowest cost.
- All the reasons of Desertec’s failure speak for the CCP.
The CCP is not about constraints in order to protect the climate (for example, no more flying) but about positive economic developments that take climate protection on board (by covering one third of the areas with trees). It relies on strong motivation (“deserts turning green”) and centuries-old dreams. But it is also based on harnessing technology like never before.
Supply water – deserts turn green, increase land value, create jobs, produce food, facilitate life and a new civilization. The investments pay for themselves several times over.
Current problems that the CCP solves with “new” water
- Expensive projects for the protection against rising sea levels (for example, Venice, Rotterdam) are ultimately doomed to failure as they do not eliminate the cause. The CCP tackles these problems head-on.
- Global warming causes sea water to expand. The melting effect increases (see Himalayans). The overall temperature on earth must drop, which is achieved by the CCP.
- Migration flows are triggered by the disappearance of people’s livelihood in arid regions.
- The number of wars is increasing as food resources such as water and large areas are getting scarce. The CCP is also a peace project as it ties in well with the EU’s efforts at the helm, and must therefore urgently be managed by the EU (quality control, neutrality of power).
- All humankind can be supplied with good drinking water thanks to the CCP.
- Putting an end to global famine thanks to the recovery of land for cultivation.
- End of deforestation as it is useless from an ecological point of view.
- Slow down population growth by increasing prosperity in Africa.
Further strong positive aspects of the CCP
- Forests create their own climate and are per se a stabilizing factor, which reduces weather extremes. Hurricanes and storm surges will decrease.
- We can start in any number of places at the same time. Each step has a beneficial effect on the climate.
- The construction of irrigation infrastructure creates jobs for many inhabitants, especially in underdeveloped countries.
- The project would have a strong sustained impact on the global economy.
A clear indicator
We must aim at minimizing the rise of sea levels, which can be measured precisely nowadays. The expansion effect of global warming can also be factored out. Sea levels therefore serve as an indicator of climate change. However, we must expect strong knock-on effects even if in total more CO2 is removed from the atmosphere each year than is added. These effects will, however, be slowed down by the new climate created by the new forests. And new CCP technologies may be used to tackle the rest.
The objectives of Katowice and the CCP
- Katowice and CCP complement and reinforce each other.
- With the implementation of other measures, as laid down in Katowice, climate change could be reversed thanks to the CCP, or at least the 1.5 degree target would still be within reach.
Is there a better solution? The self-imposed restrictions on consumption are not having sufficient impact, and new technologies for reducing CO2 emissions take time to establish themselves so as to be relevant for the climate. The economically viable battery for electric mobility and wind energy storage have not even been developed yet.
Let us launch the CCP before it is too late.
The CCP is a powerful driver for preventing climate change.
Please contact Kontakt@climate-correction-project.com for further information.
The CCP is a project of the “Forschung für Leben” (research for life) foundation
Schloßhof 2-6, 85283 Wolnzach, Germany, President: Eduard Kastner
IBAN: DE70 7215 1650 0009 4702 04
Stiftung „Forschung für Leben“,
c.o. KASTNER AG, Schlosshof 2,
85283 Wolnzach, Deutschland
+49 8442 92 53 30